Sunday, November 9, 2008

First Blog Post

Well, as you can see, my friends have shamed me into this. That's why the name. Today is my first Lil Mistake post. And I'll have to do this between cleaning up after the new dog and doing laundry and stacking firewood. Who knew a 2 lb toy dog could manufacture so much uh... doodie?

Today I went down into the basement to check the water softner. Got ready to leave and happened to look down. There was about a 3 foot long snake crawling over the toe of my shoe. Needless to say, I was startled to say the least. I didn't have anything to kill it with, so I summoned up my courage (drank a cooler), grabbed the push broom and started pushing the snake. It finally gathered up in a ball so I could push it into the dustpan and throw it out the door into the cold. I'm still shaking. Okay, okay, it was only a milk snake, but I never stop to ask them what kind they are. I just don't want them in my house!

I've been getting things together for the next treasure hunt. Christin, now 7, and Nick, now 5, are very into Nancy Drew and Indiana Jones. In the summer, at garage sales, I find neat little treasures that I can bury in the yard (10 acres) and I draw treasure maps on parchment paper. I burn the edges of the paper and tie them up with old looking ribbon, then seal them with wax. The kids love hunting for the treasure. They'll be here next weekend, so I've already started planning the treasure hunt. I found a gold Cortez filigre cross, an old copper/pewter cup, an old looking ring, a wooden treasure chest with a sphinx on top (which I painted gold), some acrylic diamonds that are about 1 - 1.5 inches big, a couple of boxes of colored glass beads that look like jewels, and of course a crystal skull. I have them all buried and I'm working on the maps in the evenings. Each kid has to have their own map to find their own treasures. They haven't gotten the hang of sharing the map yet!

Carrie called and we confirmed my itenerary for Colorado. I'll be leaving on Nov. 22 and stay until Dec. 2nd. She lives in Evergreen. They have a beautiful home 9000 feet up on a mountain. The road is something else to get to the house. It makes Pike's Peak road look like an interstate! When I get up that mountain, I don't go down again until its time to go to the airport to go back home. This time tho, we're going to Indian Springs to see if the mineral waters help my joints. Like she thinks I believe that is the reason! She likes to laugh at my knuckles turning white and my face fading to a whiter shade of pale when she drives me up or down that mountain! Guess I'll always be a flatlander at heart!

Randy just got back from taking the dogs out running rabbits. We're taking Mom and Dad out to dinner, so I'd better get ready. I'll post again if I can remember how. And, please be patient, I'll post pictures one day when I have time to wait on this connection!

No comments: